You had a great idea for a software product and you want to see it being developed as fast as possible, you want to concentrate on bringing it to life. Focus on what really matters! Find out what exactly the market needs by gathering feedback and head into the right direction. For that you need to be flexible and quick in your workflows and you don’t want to be distracted by administrative tasks that keep you from developing your product. That is why you should take a look at out-of-the-box software development ecosystems, they might exactly be what you need to kick start your startup.
Challenges for Startups
About 50% of startups fail, because their business model is not viable and that can be because of two reasons:
- The startup didn’t find the right product for the market, or
- The startup didn’t find the right market for the product
To overcome this issue it is crucial to get feedback from potential customers as soon as possible. You can achieve this by following the Lean Startup methodology. Lean Startup helps you to find out about and adapt to market needs by gathering customer feedback as fast and as much as possible. To put this into practice you need to be able to develop your product fast, get feedback quickly and frequently and incorporate that feedback into your product. It is important you startups are fast, because other reasons for startups to fail are caused by the lack of speed. Many startups get simply outcompeted or they run out of cash. That is why you want to get started developing your product as fast as possible. For that you need to set up a development environment.
Depending on the technologies and workflows you want to facilitate, there are countless services and tools available that you can choose from. Therefore, you can spend endless hours to set up an infrastructure and to configure all required components. Since there are so many options it helps to take these aspects into account:
- Price: You are still at the beginning of your journey, money is thight. OpenSource solutions are often as good as, or better than, propritary solutions. They are a great, cheap, alternative.
- Team size: When you start the development of your product idea, your team is still small, but hopefolly your team will have to grow soon. To keep the development running smoothly, even with a growing team, your processes and workflows need to be able to grow with you. Otherwise you will have to set up new infrastructure over and over again, which is time and resouce consuming.
- Scope: Standard functionality that need to be covered is SourceCodeManagement, issue tracking, project management, quality assurance and build server with continuous integration or best case –delivery. In early stages you might not need all of this, or parts don’t have to be automated, but sooner or later you will have to professionalize your processes through automation.
If you want to get started quickly you should consider using an out-of-the-box development platform like our SCM-Manager Universe or the Cloudogu Ecosystem. The advantage of this is that all their components are already installed, configured and integrated. Therefore, you can be set up and ready to go within minutes with a sophisticated processes. SCM-Manager Universe for example comes with this workflow.
It covers everything from SourceCodeManagement over build automation and quality analysis to issue tracking. Those are essential steps to develop and continuously improve a software product. Cloudogu, which is not recommended for use in production yet (but will soon be), offers some additional advantages like an automated technical documentation or the versatile Redmine instead of Bugzilla for issue tracking.
These preconfigured solutions come with standardized automated workflows, which allow you to concentrate on your product, right from the beginning, without the need to set up processes from scratch. Moreover they allow you to let your team grow without the need for major changes in your processes. Of course, this standardization comes with a downside: these solutions are not necessarily suited for everyone, because different technologies have different requirements and these solutions can only cover a certain range of requirements. The Cloudogu Ecosystem tries to compensate that by simplifying the integration of new applications, but it is just at the beginning of its journey.
When developing a new product, especially as a Startup, you need to be fast, flexible and efficient and at the same time you should also try to be prepared for your time of success and growth. Software development platforms like SCM-Manager Universe or Cloudogu Ecosystem allow you to be ready for exactly this. They offer a large range of functionality, are easy to set up and can be scaled easily at the same time. So look into them, maybe you will find that one of them is exactly what you were looking for.
With kind regards,
your SCM-Manager Universe Team